web3 forums

web3 and ethereum community forums

Guest Homepage Forums Welcome to caches Caches ongoing development thread. Suggests/feedback accepted! Reply To: Caches ongoing development thread. Suggests/feedback accepted!

• deleted_user

July 3, 2022 at 5:35 am
    Rank Strata Level 1 Icon L1: Probably A Bot

I saw your big post on ethfinance in the Daily setting out the features and vision etc and I think you’ve hit on a lot of the key points (which have also been covered in the discussion above here). I’m just going to pull together some of those thoughts into one summary.

I don’t think there’s any doubt you’ve created something of value here – it’s a cool site with utility that a community can benefit from. But what community? Who are the people who will come here use all the features and enjoy them? As noted in the discussion above, the challenge is drawing users here and building a community – I’ve been in online communities since I was a teenager in the 1990s and dialed in to BBSes, and all the good ones had a thriving core community supplemented by a steady (but not overwhelming) flow of newbies to avoid stagnation.

You just need a few dozen active members. If half or even a quarter of the ethfinance Daily regulars, or the regulars in the EVM Discord used this space regularly, that would be plenty.

But getting to that point won’t be easy – it’s a lot of “build it and work very hard to try and entice people to come, but a lot of the time they just won’t, because network effects are hard to generate” – but of course that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try – it’ll be hard and it may not work but this was still something worth doing.

So all you can do is build it out and market it (“market” in a low key way of course – “raise awareness” more like) and generate content to draw people here. I’m thinking here of how Eric Conner and others built the EthHub site during the 2018-19 bear market and just kept it going and slowly growing over time – it won’t be overnight. And it’s still going now as a valuable information source, even though there are many other options now that didn’t exist in 2018.

But the first thing to think about is the overarching vision and purpose of the site – what do you want its goal to be?

Clearly the link to EVMs and the ManeNet DAO is the way to go. The ManeNet DAO is solely on Discord (and ethfinance to some extent, but not really – more like there’s an overlap in users and values but it doesn’t really operate on Reddit) and could really use a website and base of operations – like our version of boredapeyachtclub.com (lol) – complete with special privileges for EVMs.

It’s a small DAO and we’re in a bear market now plus most of the chat is on Discord but it’s a good place to start by making this the official home of the ManeNet DAO on the web and building up slowly from there. IMHO a clear identity and purpose like that, gives the site a focus that is more valuable than trying to be “all things to all people”. Plus there’s a lot of overlap in values etc.

Anyway if that’s the kind of thing you want to do, then it’s probably a good idea to talk about it a lot on Discord and get a feel for what the other EVMs think (you might have done this already – I’ve been too busy to look at the EVM Discord for a couple of weeks now), and then actually agree some terms and move ahead with a ManeNet DAO proposal and vote to formalize it, which will probably include rebranding the site and design etc. Assuming the EVMs in Discord want to do this – but hey, who wouldn’t want a free website donated to the DAO?

Of course, if you do want to donate the site to the ManeNet DAO, you’ll probably need to hand over control of it to the DAO, like etheraider did with the EVM NFTs. This isn’t a bad thing – it means you’ll no longer be solely responsible and the site won’t live or die solely by your efforts. And there’s no need for it to happen overnight – you could easily stay as one of the admins/lead admin and slowly phase yourself out over time

What do you think? Where do you want this site to go?